Sirohi Goat Characteristics & Full Breed Information





The Sirohi goat is a fantastic dual-purpose goat breed. It is compact, medium-sized breed which was originated from India. The breed is native to the Sirohi district of Rajasthan (western part of India). It is also known by some other different names such as Ajmeri, Devgarhi and Prabatsari.

The Sirohi goats are mainly found and distributed over the Ajmer, Bhilwara, Tonk and Jaipur districts. They are also available in some other parts of India, and popular as a meat goat breed in some other South Asian countries (and they are also raised for milk production in some areas).

Sirohi goats are generally raised under extensive grazing system in most of the commercial goat farms in India. And most of the animals are kept confined for rapid body growth. However, read some more information about this dual-purpose goat breed below.

Physical Characteristics of Sirohi Goat


The Sirohi goats are medium to large sized animals with compact body. They are very beautiful, and mainly have brown colored coat with dark or light brown patches. Individuals of other color (such as black or completely white) are also available. They have medium-sized flat leaf-like dropping ears, and most of the goats are wattled.

Sirohi goats have strong legs and both bucks and does generally have horns. Their horns are generally curved upward and backward with pointed tip. Their tail is of medium length and curved upward. The does have small and round udder with small teats.




The bucks are generally much heavier than the does. Average live body weight of the mature does is up to 30 kg. And the mature bucks on an average can reach up to 50 kg.

sirohi goat, sirohi goats, about sirohi goat, sirohi goat information, sirohi goat breed facts, sirohi goat facts, sirohi goat characteristics, sirohi goat coat color, sirohi goat coloration, sirohi goat feeding, raising sirohi goat, keeping sirohi goat


Feeding


Sirohi goats are excellent browsers. But they are generally raised under extensive grazing system in commercial goat farming business. And most of the animals in commercial farms are kept confined for better production. If you can supplement their diet properly, they will be able to gain better body weight and produce more milk. Sirohi goats are also known for their better weight gain and lactation even under poor quality rearing conditions.




Breeding


The Sirohi goats are known to be excellent breeders. The does generally give birth of one kid per kidding. On average, only 10 percent of all births will result twins with the remaining 90 percent will produce a single kid.

Abilities


The Sirohi goats are extremely hardy and strong animals. They are well adapted to their native climates and also do well in most climates. They are resistant to major diseases and are easily adaptable to different climatic conditions. Their main breeding tracts are situated in the Aravalli hills of Rajasthan, but they are also widely distributed in several other Indian States. And they can withstand in most other climatic conditions.

Uses


The Sirohi goats are actually a dual-purpose animal. They are raised for both milk and meat production. But currently, they are being reared mainly for meat production. The does are good for milk production. And a doe can generally produce around 0.75-1 liter of milk daily.

The Sirohi goats are very hardy animals, and they can withstand in almost all climatic conditions. They are generally very suitable for commercial goat farming business (either for meat or for milk), and also are well suited to stall fed goat farming system. If you can provide them with nutrition enriched diet, they will grow rapidly and produce more milk.




Sirohi Goat Characteristics & Full Breed Information Sirohi Goat Characteristics & Full Breed Information Reviewed by Tanmay Roy on May 25, 2018 Rating: 5